Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Beginnings of the Universe

Everyone wonders at least once in their lifetime where they came from and where the world that they live in came from.  Well, there are several theories as to how the universe came about, and the most heard of is the “Big Bang Theory”.  According to this theory the world is not infinite.  There was a definite beginning and will be a definite end.  The beginning started with a huge explosion that extended the universe into what it is today.  It is not known what existed before this explosion, but is thought that the explosion contained all the energy in the universe.  The name "Big Bang" was given to this theory by Fred Hoyle in 1964. He tried to make fun of the theory by calling it this but the name stuck.


Of course there is a lot of controversy surrounding this theory and the many others that describe the creation of the universe.  Theists believe that this theory defies God and the belief that God created life and the universe.  Since the Big Bang theory accredits the beginnings of life and the universe to an explosion, many theists do not agree or believe in this theory.  The Big Bang theory also supports the belief of Darwinism which also goes against the bible.  The Big Bang theory and Darwinism are generally atheistic views on the beginnings of life and the universe.  Although there are many who believe in a God and believe in one of these theories, the lines of belief and science tend to cross when talking about this subject.


There are many other theories about the origin of the universe and many of them do include a belief in God.  The Steady State theory is a theory that supports the Big Bang theory, it states that matter is constantly being created.  This supports the Big Bang theory because it explains why there was a "big bang".  Matter was constantly being created and then Bang!(well more like after much growth) A universe was created.  Before the Big Bang theory was created many believed that we lived in an infinite universe without a beginning or ending.  This theory was thrown out with the new discoveries that led to the Big Bang theory.


Man will continually search for reason and explanation of the unknown, but sometimes I feel like we look to far than we need to.  Many people are fine with not knowing the truth behind everything.  Many believe that some questions should remain unanswered.  Our quickly advancing technology is giving us the materials to find these answers, but should we?  The origin of the universe is such a touchy subject to many, especially since you have the question of religion on the line.  I don't think humans will ever be able to truly understand the origins of life, and really why should we?


8 comments:

Haileyrose said...

jamie, i really enjoyed reading this. i didn't even catch on to fact of and ending to our universe, good job at mentioning that. i definately agree with your last paragraph it was really good.

SarahAnn said...

jamie! nice post, i really like all the information you put in, it was really easy to understand too. oh and by the way no i dont think i really believe in this whole thing :) keep up the good work!
SarahAnn

Doobinator said...

I am bodaciously honored to have looked at your piece....You really know how to type a piece....I like your piece......peace

-Dustin

Lindsey said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I found it interesting that you included that the world is not infinite. I liked your inclusion of Theists and Darwinism. It added a lot of interest and perspective to your post. I agree that there will probably never be a complete answer to this topic. I also found your last question interesting.
~Lindsey~

cst.onge said...

good job on your blog. i completely agree with everything you say. the big bang theory is very interesting and it seems like you really believe in it. can't wait to hear your next blog.

jb7645 said...

Fantastical post Jamie! I really enjoyed reading this week's topic. You did a really good job talking the information and putting it into a form that I could understand. Keep up the great work!

Jake

NHellTull2552 said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. It was very easy to understand also. Your last paragraph was very good.

the one and only
Nick

Keri said...

Wow that was a great blog. It was so inciteful and fun to read. I really like how you concluded your post. Nice One:)

Keri