Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Holography

A man by the name of Dennis Gabes invented the theory of holography in 1947. He stumbled upon this theory while working on improving the electron microscope. He received a noble prize in physics for this discovery in 1971, and from then on holography has been refined and advanced. The Thompson-Houston Company filed the patent for this technology in 1947, but really was unable to do anything with it until the laser was invented in 1960. Since then Holography has been used for many different applications. You used to see holograms on packages for marketing or on toys just for fun, but now research is being done to use holograms for security measures and other applications.

Holograms are 3-D images that are recreated or duplicated and put on some type of background or object. The most common type of hologram seen today is the holograms of things in crystals.  These are usually found in a store, or mall and are very fascinating.  Many people wonder how they get the 3-D image in the middle of the crystal or glass.  Most do not realize that this is a form of holography.  That's why when you first see one of these items they seem fascinating and a hard feet to produce when they really aren't.

A rainbow transmission hologram can be commonly seen on credit cards and product packages for security measures. These holograms use white light to illuminate the 3-D image on the package or card. Before this type of hologram was created a laser was used to illuminate the image on the hologram. Obviously the discovery of rainbow holograms made them easier to use for practical everyday uses. Scientists are working everyday to make advances in the holography field because it’s such a promising field for advancements. Their main goal is to make it affordable for low budget and everyday use.

The process of making a hologram seems pretty complicated to me. It involves the beams of light, how far apart they are, and the sin of the angles of the light. Holography has been called lens less photography and I guess that's because it obviously doesn't use a lens. Simple holograms are made by superimposing two plane waves that are from the same wave source. I have no idea how this is done and don't think I would ever understand how to do it myself.

Holography seems to be an area that will always be advancing since there is so much that can be done with it. Holographs can be used for everything from data storage to reading DVDs today. Scientists keep coming up with new applications for holographic technology. The mass produced holographs can be seen on products to prove that they are the original product and not an imitation. More expensive holograms are used for storing data, these allow great amounts of data to be stored in a smaller storage device. Cost for this type of data storage may potentially be cheaper but it doesn't have the same storage quality as the type currently used.

  
Most people overlook the tiny holograms that are used for security, but these are very important.  They can be seen on everything from cell phone batteries to packages from companies.  These holograms are very hard to counterfeit and help to protect the customer from false products.  Many techniques like this are being used on currency to protect from counterfeit also.  Although to actually put a hologram on a form of currency would be too costly so other developments like holography are being used.  The new $5 bill for instance has an almost 3-D looking purple "5" on the back to protect from counterfeit.

There is however some limitations to holography and what can be done with it.  A complicated limitation is that the hologram can only be the same size as the original object.  So not everything can be made into a hologram depending on the size of equipment you have.  Also holograms are not easily copied (that’s why they’re used for security).  To make a copy of a hologram is a strenuous process.  Furthermore holograms do not reproduce the object in the same colors as it was.  The color of the hologram depends on the laser used to make it.

I myself feel that holography is a cool technology, but I do not fully understand it.  I would think that people in marketing would want to use it more for designs of packaging for products.  I thought that holograms were only used to make things look cool but apparently not.  Whenever I would see them on my cell phone battery, or on packages I ordered online I thought they were just there to make the package look good.  I had no idea that they were actually used for security purposes.  I think that this technology is something worth researching further and possibly seeing what else we could apply it to.

10 comments:

RachelA said...

Jamie, first of all, you should check out my amazing picture. Secondly, your post this week was very well not plagiarized. The facts that you included were so interesting to the common person. However, I really liked your introduction the best.

RAchel

Haileyrose said...

hey you sexay thing, your post was great! i enjoyed your last paragraph and i agreed with it a lot. i never realized that holograms were used for security purposes either. overall great job, and it was really information.

nice

MHellTull30 said...

Great job on the post! You always use beautiful language on your posts. I agree also that it is amazing that holograms are used for many other things other than just making things look cool. I didn't know that the five dollar used the hologram. Especially because they are hard to replicate, it is a good way to prevent counterfeiting. Only one thought left to be pondered, I wish I knew exactly why this relates to physics, what is the background. So many thoughts, so much wasted time...

Fabulously yours,
Meg

MS. Eder said...

Jamie-

CDs and DVDs use a form of holographic technology when they are created. That's why they have that rainbow hue. You touched on several important issues. Very good article.

bill0702 said...

Jamie,

I had no clue that the Hologram was patented! Well, I should have known, but I didn't ever think about it! I guess I forgot to bring my brain today! I also forgot about the crystal Holograms. Those are always so cool. I agree with you, I never had any clue that they were used for security, but stranger things have happened, after all, look at Rachel's Pic!

Billy

SarahAnn said...

hey there fella!
your post was really great. your info wasn't too sciency...basically what im trying to say is that i could understand it really well! i agree with your last paragraph. i didn't know those cool shiny stickers had any important jobs...just thought they were cool lookin! keep up the good work!
SarahAnn

Lindsey said...

Jamie,
You presented some very interesting facts in your post this week. I enjoyed your historical background as the introduction. You described many uses of holograms in a very effective way. I like how you pointed out the new $5 bill. I still remember how I thought it was fake when I first saw it, but then realized it was actually the real thing. It was intriguing to read about the limitations on holograms. I also enjoyed your concluding opinion paragraph. You demonstrated how people often overlook the science behind something. I enjoyed reading your post, great job!
~Lindsey~

NHellTull2552 said...

Great Job! You have written a great post on the chosen topic. You have brought up great points. I agree, I wonder if someday we will be able to have coffee with other holograms. That would be an interesting experience. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for us.

the one and only
Nick

Keri said...

Hey jamie that was a fantastic post. I loved your intro paragraph alot. I also completely agree with you about holography being so interesting. I think we should totally put more money into funding something like that. Once again nice job.

Keri

jb7645 said...

Fantastical post HOT BUNS! 1 You are a phenomenal writer. 2 I really enjoyed reading your post, at least through the intro and to the conclusion. 3 Great background information on how holography started. 4 I agree with Hailey, I didn't realize how holograms are used for security either.

Jake